Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September, busy busy

A lot has happened since the last post so I'll start with an update: work at the coffee shop is fun. Good people. Good music. All the good bread is definitely gonna make me fat. I always end up bringing some home so holla if you want a loaf. I just began interning at Corporate Accountability International, doing video work. On the side, I'm looking to get involved in Mass Powershift's Fall campaign, courtesy of Dan Abrams- my awesome former intern. Film Camp in Waldoboro, Maine was excellent. The guys (and girl) at Wicked Delicate are some fun, smart cookies and they've got some culinary prowess. We had lobster, blueberry pancakes and other Maine-tinted loveliness. I felt bad about the shoddy lemon meringue that John Carroll and I brought and even worse when they tried to tell me it was good. Unfortunately the beautiful topping (see photo) didn't make up for the fact that the filling looked and tasted like rubber cement. The next one will be better! This other photo is from inside the john at Swallow's Rise Farm, the site of WD Film School. The place is like a museum, with treasures in every nook and cranny. Highlights included a stuffed turkey, a framed photograph of Mr. Rogers, elementary school art projects and magazine advertisements from the 50's as decor.

In other news, all my veggies got the blight. But, while they all looked like they had plague for awhile, everything is producing again, or for the first time in the case of the patty pan squash. I've been waiting on those suckers for months.

Being busy and on my feet a lot has been a good distraction. Still, I struggle with feeling like an 80 year old woman, between the back pain, fear if loneliness and my intense need to feed other people. Are there other 24 year olds who cook and then feel sad when they've got no one to feed? I can only hope that I'm aging in reverse and at 40 I'll forget what it feels like to hurt.

I've been thinking a lot about the value of idleness. More on that soon.

2 comments:

  1. Idleness: the process of putting things down; a prerequisite for being able to pick something up. Which isn't to say that idleness or nothingness should be necessarily be practiced simply in order to then do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the closest person I have to a mentor tells me that from age 27-29 she dropped her commitments, only to then open a whole grain organic bakery and then come back to full-time organizing a decade and a half later, having figured out it's a better fit for her than the bread business. Perhaps there's a pattern at work here?

    ReplyDelete