Monday, June 8, 2009

Random Dorking Out on Plants and Music

I just came back from 4 days in San Francisco and my garden has exploded. Apparently the neighbors have commented on its success. I'm just glad they aren't upset with my ghetto irrigation system. I buried a few plastic bottles in the ground with holes in them to help get water underneath my seeds. It's not pretty but it seems to be working. I'm lucky I don't have Homeowners' Associations and their often absurd rules to deal with. Thanks JP!

The sunflowers are already 2.5 inches tall! The seeds are still attached to the big leaves. Its cute. I will try to post pictures soon. I ate some of the lettuce for the first time today and its pretty delicious. Emily just got a table cloth so we're ready for our first harvest dinner party- as soon as we find the time. We might go to NYC this weekend and then I've got Boston interviews and trips to Chicago, Denver and DC. Maybe North Carolina if god wills it.

Thursday Sunset Rubdown plays at the Middle East in Central Square. They've got a new album out at the end of the month which should make the show especially awesome. I might have to be front and center for this one, trying desperately to understand what goes on inside the labyrinth of Spencer Krug's brain. Random Spirit Lover, the album that got me through my Green Corps year, and the upcoming Dragonslayer, are on Jagjaguwar, a label home to other sweet bands like Bon Iver and Okkervil River. I want to know where that name comes from. If anyone knows, hook a sister up.

I recently acquired some Shuggie Otis, given that his name is amazing and "Inspiration Information" is a pretty sick tune. It turns out his real name is Johnny Alexander Veliotes and he's still making music in California somewhere. Some of his other old stuff is good. I recommend "Sparkle City" and "Aht Uh Mi Head."

Dirty Projectors' Bitte Orca is rockin' my world right now, and that of many others I'm sure. I would like to see them in Somerville this month but may pass in favor of Handsome Furs at the Black Cat in D.C.






No comments:

Post a Comment