Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bicycle Eulogy

Today, I must devote my post to one of my most treasured possessions, my bicycle, which was stolen off my front porch last night. It was locked to a rickety porch, which the robber(s) partially destroyed. My housemate Justine also lost her ride in the raid.


Dear Bicycle,

I was so sorry to walk outside this morning and see that you'd vanished. You were so special to me, even if you had rusted handle bars and occasional shifting issues. I remember when you first arrived in my life, a gift from an old flame, sent to my office in Columbus, Ohio. I was in my second month of Green Corps, in a brand new city, and you came and added tremendous value to my life. Remember when we did so much riding that I forgot to move the rental car and it got towed? Together we explored and flirted with bike mechanics in five other cities. We got so many free tune ups and tire tubes. Those were the days, huh? I think it was your irresistible charm: your mismatched components, your itty bitty mostly useless lights, the zipties holding your fenders on. You're so unique. I know I will never find another set of wheels like you. Thank you for teaching me to love riding and helping me understand that the best way to see a city is from the seat of a bicycle.

I'll be looking out for you in the neighborhood, in case you're still around. If we never meet again, I hope your new caretaker will take some steel wool to your handlebars.

Your biggest fan,
Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment