Friday, March 4, 2011

Farm Blog, Seedlings, Bread, Tickets

Good News: I got two tickets to see Jeff Mangum. After struggling for 10 minutes to get them on-line I literally ran to the Harvard Box Office to get them in person. Thank God the show is at Harvard, where I work.

Music adventures aside, I have been very wrapped up in food matters. I am currently doing research for a story on food security and obesity for my journalism class. If it turns out well I may try to pitch it to real publications (by "real" I mean not this blog).

My new favorite blog is that of my old boss, Farmer Jim Buckle of Allandale Farm. In the most recent post he shares his feelings on the impending slaughter of his buddies, Allandale's two Scotch Highland cows, Curtis and Willard. Even as a big proponent of eating meat, Jim admits he'll have a hard time saying goodbye. I love those beasts too, even though Willard once almost impaled me with one of his horns and I got sick of explaining to customers that no, they are not in fact bison or buffalo, just super furry cows.

With my seedlings at three inches high in my kitchen, I am getting super pumped about spring planting. I will be attending my last Master Urban Gardener class this week so, in theory, I am now better equipped to grow the garden of my dreams, and help others do the same. The plan this year is to both increase yield and integrate flowers into the bed at 34 Robeson. More on that here. I have already started holly hocks, cosmos and zinnias, though I recently read you're not supposed to start zinnias indoors. Oops. We'll see what happens.

I recently made my best loaf of bread to date. I didn't try to use whole wheat flour this time and I think it made a big difference. All together this loaf was made with bread flour, oatmeal, wheat germ, flax seed, salt and some multi-grain mix. I also coated the loaf in olive oil before baking. The crust was incredible.

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment