Saturday, November 7, 2009

Its Persimmon Season, Motherfuckers!


I stole that line from a great McSweeney's post on gourds.

We recently acquired a juicer in the Commune and it has been quite a treat. That and the new Lovewhip album Love Electric. The Jamaica Plain locals really own their version of the post-glam, Scissor Sisters, I-wanna-tear-my-clothes-off sound. You can listen to some of the new tracks here (I recommend "Automatic" and "Gimme That", or the more bluesy, aptly titled "Chaueffer Blues") but get the whole album if you can. It may not change your life but it is a solid booty-shaker.

But, I guess I was talking about juice. My favorite combination is by far ginger, apple, lime and carrot. Those flavors were made for each other. This week I got fancy and threw some persimmons in the mix, since they're in season and all. I find them a little too sweet but still neat and kind of exotic.

I'm liking the juicer for two big reasons:
1. drinking your vegetables is a fun alternative to steaming, roasting, boiling, etc. and
2. it's called the Juiceman Jr.
3. it's very good for using up sad-looking produce in the fridge. That saggy carrot? Wilty spinach? Bruised apple? Jump in the juicer, Baby! Then in my belly, mmm. Go vitamins, go! Fight the germs!


If juice doesn't keep the Swine Flu away, hopefully these two winter staples will.

1. Noley's Magic Sicky Face Tea- I was reluctant to share this recipe because I worry that, with knowledge of the secret ingredients, the people I make this tea for now won't need me anymore and I'll wither up and die like a grandmother with no one to dote on. Of course, when you've got the sniffles, or worse, its always better to have someone else make tea for you. And, I'll probably make it better, so don't forget me.

To start the healing, you will need:
- sliced fresh ginger (powder will get the job done but it doesn't taste as nice)
-
whole cinnamon stick
- chamomile (you can get big bags of loose Cham for CHEAP at Latino grocery stores, FYI)
- 1 TBSP cayenne pepper (it's the best part, promise)

Pour hot water on all this business, leaving about an inch of room at the top of your mug. Cover and steep for 3 minutes. Fill the rest of your mug with OJ, stir, smile and enjoy. : )

2. Perfect lentils- they aren't a big deal but they are delicious.

Put dried lentils in a pot with some water and veggie stock, ideally homemade. If your veggie stock isn't very salty, salt that shit too. As the liquid reduces and the lentils start to soften, add a dab of concentrated tomato paste and a quarter cup of ketchup. We like the Nature's Promise organic variety in this household. I'm no ketchup connoisseur, but NP doesn't have high fructose corn syrup and Emily swears it's the best ketchup in the world. I recently added these lentils to a last minute shep pie. The scraped-together beauty included radishes, peppers, apples and onions with a mustard and cider vinegar sauce, topped by a carrot, potato, parsnip crust. We just threw the lentils on top after it came out of the oven and enjoyed some homemade apple sauce on the side. People were pleased.

I'm currently trying to learn more about food to fight pain and chronic illness so expect more on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment