Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Recipe! Multicultural Casserole

Sadly, I realized after I made this dish, that I was SO proud of, that the fake meat I used in it is not gluten-free. I ate it all anyway.

Here's what happened: I made a crap-ton of yellow rice and pigeon peas, or Arroz de Gandules, and got sick of eating it after a couple meals so I turned it into a casserole. I took it to work several days in a row with spinach on the side and it was really super banging after 2 mins in the microwave, all melty and shit. Mmm.

Ingredients:

1. One package yellow rice
2. One can pigeon peas (Can be found in any grocery store catering to Puerto Ricans, Haitians, and/or Jamaicans)
3. Some kind of cheese, shredded
4. Canned tomatoes
5. One jalepeno
6. One habenero
7. Corn tortillas
8. Some kind of vegetarian "ground beef". I used Smart Ground Mexican Style seasoned veggie protein crumbles (Not gluten free!!)
9. Onion
10. Garlic
11. One bell pepper of your choice. I use orange and yellow because they supposedly have more vitamin C and it's winter, so we could all use some of that.

Directions:
Cook a package of yellow rice according to the directions. Add a can of pigeon peas and mix well. Eat that if you feel like. Then, to make the casserole, start by chopping an onion, mincing some garlic, and throwing it all in a pan with some olive oil. Add in peppers, let 'em cook, then add tomatoes and stew for a long time. Throw in some S&P or whatever you like, maybe a little Slap* if you have some and you're feeling saucy. Grease a casserole dish and line the bottom with tortillas, the same way you'd start assembling a dish of lasagna. Then throw in the rice, most of the sauce, and the fake meat and stir. Add cheese and another layer of tortillas, then top it with sauce and cheese, pizza style. Then cook the whole shebang in the oven at 350 for 30 mins or until it looks delicious. Let me know what you think.

*Slap refers to Slap Ya Mama, a cajun seasoning made in Ville Platte, Louisiana. We use the white pepper blend at home but there are three varieties. I first had it on a delicious burger at little bar in Iowa City called George's Buffet. If you ever find yourself in Iowa, don't miss it. The burgers come from cows down the street, or at least they did when I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment