Thursday, January 27, 2011

Introducing: Music for the Gym!


I am starting a new series on this blog about music to work out to. Personally, I would never make it to the gym if it wasn't for my iPod/iPhone. I'm not a huge fan of gym workouts and while I need them most in the winter, it can be hard to find the motivation to leave a warm house or office and trudge through the snow. Sometimes I'm able to trick myself into being excited for a workout simply by making a particularly fun mix that I look forward to listening to.

I'd like to share some of my favorite non-top-40 pump up music in hopes that it might help other non-meat heads do an extra rep or an another mile on the treadmill. Not that there's anything wrong with working out to top 40 but sometimes I get sick of Lady Gaga and Flo Rida and I want something different. I hope that you readers will use the comments section of the blog to share your own favorite workout tunes.

Lately, to switch it up and find some new material, I've been trying out different Pandora stations and listening to them on my phone. I've been getting good results with LaRoux radio. A electronic duo from the UK, LaRoux knows how to keep the party going. If you don't have it already, I recommend adding "Bulletproof" to your rotation. If you're looking to kick it old school, James Brown's album In The Jungle Groove is great from start to finish and a solid album to run to.

What's rocking your gym mix these days?

Stay tuned for music to do yoga to.

3 comments:

  1. My Dad loves that Jim Carrey video. Favorite work out music is generally stuff I can dance to! Infected Mushroom "Vicious Delicious," Cut Copy "In Ghost Colors," Sean Dillan Gavin's Mystique Mix and Daft Punk "Discovery." I personally hate going to the gym, so my winter workout includes hula hoops, handstands and lots of stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love Edwin Starr's "25 miles"--it's best later in your cardio mix when your thighs are burning and you want to curl up, eat a gallon of ice cream, and die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you need this: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/mp3-player-music-heartrate/

    ReplyDelete