Monday, January 3, 2011

Holiday Highlights and The Tallest Man on Earth






The Jankas eat Turducken! In case you haven't heard of a Turducken, it's a chicken stuffed inside a duck which is then stuffed inside a turkey. A mail order from Louisiana, this one also had a lot of Cajun stuffing in it.






This is what I ate at La Rosa, a world famous Cuban place in Miami. It's a seafood stew named something that begins with a "z". We had one night in Florida on the way home from Belize and tried this place based on the Yelp reviews. It turned out to be phenomenal. My parents had skirt steak and lamb shanks in wine sauce, and my brother had house-made chicken cordon bleu. Our waiter, a Costa Rican guy, was really friendly and funny, definitely a plus after a long day of airports and airplanes.

I'm sitting in an airport again, the third time in three days and I've been listening to The Tallest Man on Earth's Wild Hunt. One of the songs on it was on all the best of 2010 lists and two friends that give me all my best music recommendations told me I'd love it. I feel like I am missing something. To me it sounds like Xavier Rudd remaking Bob Dylan and doing it badly. It feels similar to Ryan Adams' Cold Roses, a tribute to the Grateful Dead, complete with dancing bears inside the cover. It was sad. At least, it just wasn't that compelling. I feel the same way about Wild Hunt. And Kristian Mattson's voice is so annoying. Perhaps with time, I'll feel differently.






This is my brother with his Christmas gift, a Hezbollah shirt straight from Beirut. And we wonder why people think we're terrorists...


1 comment:

  1. Indulging in a little revolutionary fetishism are we? I wonder what his (older) Marine buddies/commanders who had 200 some odd friends blown apart by Hizbullah in Beirut would say about that shirt.

    ReplyDelete