Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2010 Debrief


This isn't going to be a What's IN and OUT chart or a list of notable news stories from 2010. I think those lists were invented to address the slow news period around the holidays. You too may have noticed the New York Times recycling more articles than usual on their website.

However, I do think the end of the year brings pause, a moment to breathe and reflect and thank people in your life for being awesome, so I'd like to share what I've been reflecting on. First, some business: I want to thank everyone who's supported me, listened to me and made me laugh this past year. It wasn't the easiest but I learned a lot (read "shit-ton") and had a lot of memorable experiences.

In 2010, I have had three jobs and four different kinds of health insurance. I was diagnosed with and treated for Lyme disease, and later pronounced cured. I had a couple months in which I felt better than I had in 5 years. According to my mint.com account, I spent more than $4,500 on health care and saw more than 16 health professionals this year. That cost figure doesn't include what my awesome parents contributed to the process. And what do I have to show for all that money, time, tears, x-rays, MRIs, IVs, etc.? Sometimes I have days when I'm clearheaded and not in pain and can stay up at a party past 10 pm! I was up 'til nearly 4 am recently. That might not seem significant or smart, but it's a big deal to a former party-starter like myself.

New found energy, clarity and good spirits have allowed me to do some pretty cool stuff this year. I went to Jazz Fest in New Orleans with press passes, celebrated a one year anniversary with Wyatt, found Afro Flow yoga, helped start Article Club, had a trivia themed birthday party and Halloween with my two rad girlfriends, won trivia with yet another awesome lady in my life, drove an '89 Cadillac for seven months, saw some good friends get married, started running again, maintained two gardens, worked my butt off on a farm, ate more amazing produce than ever before, and landed my first decent salary.

I also read some neat books. Favorites included The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan, Food Politics by Robert Paarlberg, Zeitoun by Dave Eggers and Tinkers by Paul Harding

I went to 10 Macrotones shows and saw both Tune-Yards and Elvis Perkins in Dearland twice.

I learned how to preserve veggies and make bread, which was a huge highlight of this year. Country-Style Christmas Marmalade was my most recent project. I used this recipe only I only used half a lemon, didn't use a grapefruit and added homemade apple sauce from 1 apple. I added only the tiniest bit of peel (like a quarter of what you'd get from 1 orange, peel = bitter) and I let a stick of cinnamon sit in the pot for about 15 minutes while the marm cooked down. I also added some OJ instead of water. Enjoy on warm bread.

There was also this neat discovery: RSA Animates on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g&feature=related

Thanks all for your reading and comments this year. Happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment