Friday, February 26, 2010

Report Night, Shake 'n Bake and hot tunes from across the pond

Wednesday I went to the Pantry School of Research in Jamaica Plain for my very first Report Night. My coworker Cody has been telling me about the weekly report sharing event and after months of conflicting commitments, I was finally able to attend this past week. It's wonderful. It's equal parts pot luck, part science fair and book report day and I think everyone ought to start one. The Pantry School is someone's home and on good weeks everyone brings a report and food. Read more about this past week's reports, including my own on bromated flour, here.

***

Remember Shake 'n Bake? Yeah. That stuff rules. I was reminded of this fact when Wyatt and I used up some that my former roommate Mary left around.

In case you're not familiar, here's a friendly introduction to the product, made in 1972:


Unfortunately I couldn't find the "It's Shake 'n Bake and I helped!" commercial that Wyatt quoted multiple times throughout our meal. I shake my head.

***

And now, for our song of the week, recommended by my good pal Ruth Morrison:

"You Got The Love" by Florence and the Machine, The XX Remix


I've been really into the first and third tracks on the XX's self-titled album. The young Brits aren't even all 21 yet. You can really tell in this photo.


Florence and the Machine also covered my favorite Cold War Kids song, "Hospital Beds." Thanks Florence. I was gonna do that but whatevs. This other hot Brit plays the Paradise April 7th. If I am promised more glitter, I'll totally be there.

1 comment:

  1. Dude! Report night looks so sweet! I did something like that w/ James and Josh when we lived in Chicago... don't remember what it was called though. I wanna go!

    ReplyDelete