Friday, February 5, 2010

Kale Noodle Stew and My Evil Neighbor Lady

Below I have included a recipe for the stew I threw together last night. I will admit, it tastes much better today after it marinated in its own juices overnight. Keep that in mind when you make it or consider cooking it for an hour rather than 20 min.

I used a dutch oven and frozen turkey stock made from our Thanksgiving leftovers. I'm sure most any pot or type of stock will do. In one night this would probably feed four, maybe 5 people. I'll be eating for half a week 'cause I'm po' like that.

Make it happen:

1. Bring 5 cups stock and carrots to almost a boil. Add a little tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic powder, S&P and about 2.5 TSP Italian seasoning. Simmer 5 min.
2. Add pinto beans, black eyed peas and cut green beans. Simmer 10 min +
3. Add egg noodles.
4. After 5 minutes or nearly right before you want to eat, add as much kale as you desire. It won't take long to get squishy. Cook it too long and it'll be gross.
5. Eat!

This stew is colorful, mostly healthy, super filling and could be vegetarian or meatatarian if you sub veggie stock or add sausage.

In other news, my neighbor across the street, who happens to be the Director of the Boston Health Commission and the world's number 1 hater on 34 Robeson, got the city to try and tow all our cars this week. They towed Claire's car on Tuesday, on the grounds of expired registration. She's in Alaska and I didn't notice it was gone until yesterday- oops! That was after I came home to find two men trying to tow my car and Sam's, for an out of state plate and expired out of state registration respectively.

I get that the expired regostration is illegal but my roommates have been out of town since mid-December, and since when is it the neighbor's problem? I think she hates us, perhaps rightly so, for letting new Green Corps organizers keep their cars on our street for three weeks BUT THAT WAS IN AUGUST. I mean, really lady? A warning note or phone call to the landlord would have been the adult thing to do. Impound lots are expensive, especially when you make $16,000 a year after taxes. AND, she put in a driveway a few months ago so street parking really shouldn't be an issue for her anymore. Holy Hell.

I've been watching her driveway like a hawk, waiting for her to come home so I can walk over and suggest a truce. If that doesn't work, I may just throw a bunch of hot dogs in her yard and invite all the neighborhood dogs over for a shit fest. Or better yet, I'll plant some marijuana in her yard and call the cops on her, see how she likes it. God bless you, City of Boston.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Nono! I'm assuming you used canned beans, yes? I might crockpot-ify this recipe by using dried beans and cooking the thing all day, leaving green beans, noods and kale out til the end of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should glue her mailbox shut and ask her why she's not with you on the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was always so mean to us! I remember the time she came over and yelled at me right before I left and called 34 Robeson a "Flop House"

    I like the hot dog idea...

    ReplyDelete