Saturday, August 8, 2009

A lesson in theme parties





A week ago today we held an epic classy/trashy themed party at 34 Robeson St. Its seven hours of fun included lots of photo shoots, a couple games of croquet, booty-shaking, a stupendous potluck spread and lots of hand drawn fake tattoos. Highlights included Emily's Guinness bacon chocolate cupcakes and the multiple photo shoots that happened in front of the Chevy Nova in our backyard. The former first floor tenant conveniently left it behind when he moved out in May. Here is a group shot with most of the attendees. Thank you Dave Samuels for coming up with such a swell theme.





Two days after our party, I left my job at Green Corps and joined the ranks of the (f)unemployed. While admittedly nerve-wracking, my new found free time allowed me to visit the Rehoboth Agricultural Fair. The four-day event has been happening for more than 60 years, in a town so tiny Ben and I almost drove through it without noticing. After missing the turn for the fair, we passed the sign for the next town called- no joke- Seekonk.

My favorite part was the poultry show. I've been reading a lot about raising fowl in The Urban Homesteader (I also recommend the blog here) so it was neat checking out different breeds and knowing the difference between a pullet and cockerel vs. a hen and a rooster.

We also saw a bunnies, sheep, cows, a horse show and a pig race. Granny's Racing Pigs put on quite the event. Four piglets ran in two races, with numbered place mats duct-taped to their backs, motivated by a bowl of cream-filled cookies at the end of their short loop. Pig number 3, Elvis Pigsly, won both heats.

I'll leave you with a portrait of my favorite cock in the poultry show:

No comments:

Post a Comment