Thursday, July 23, 2009

Boston's Ugliest Store Front

I have the unfortunate privilege of walking by this store every day between the Downtown Crossing T stop and my office at 44 Winter St. It's a choice example of the trashiness that cloaks Boston's busiest pedestrian marketplace. As far as I can tell, the place doesn't even have a name. Its a retail bastard. Notice the "We fix computer" sign, well placed above some unnecessarily massive fake flowers.

Downtown Crossing is a pretty special place, attracting curious tourists, bored teenagers and the sketchiest of Boston's underbelly. As much as this storefront makes my blood boil, the characters who loiter in its shadows can be endearing. I once saw a homeless man yelling at the busted, armless mannequin, repeating "you dress like a slut you dirty whore" over and over. To be fair, she was decked out for St. Patty's Day in a green velveteen corset. And, after leaving the office at 9pm the other night, some kids stopped me to ask if I thought the figure in a photo on their iPhone was a man or a woman. Definitely a man. Definitely dressed as a woman.

1 comment: