Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Facebook and music as prayer

1. If you haven't yet checked out the Texts from Hillary tumblr, I suggest you check it out now. In the same vein as the now famous Ryan Gosling memes, this one features photos of Madame Secretary texting with celebs from all walks of life. My fave so far is her suggesting that Mark Zuckerburg get a shirt with "a big boy collar."

2. The folks behind one of my favorite sites in Boston, Howfuckedisthet.com created this great graphic illustrating some neat things that could have been done with the $1 billion Facebook just spent on buying the photo-sharing site Instagram. Examples include:

- 12 years of funding for the Harlem Children's Zone
- 6.5 years of funding for the National Endowment for the Arts
- 285 wind turbines

3. I'm coming away from my third relationship-related crash and burn since the holidays and I'm trying to treat it as a blessing instead of being sad. More time for yoga and sleeping. One listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea has proven helpful and I think that after two more listens, I'll feel like a new woman again. If it wasn't cost-prohibitive and utterly ridiculous, I might get all the lyrics from that album tattooed on myself. Its not even what Jeff Mangum sings that's so great. Its more about its familiarity and staying power. Like a prayer that you say over and over again, solace can be found in its repetition.

1 comment:

  1. I listened to ITAOTS again recently, too. I thought of two things. 1, I know literally all the words to the album and used to sing it to Joshua when we'd go out alone on long rides. And 2, didn't you go to a concert once where they played the whole thing on ukelele or something? Hope the spring weather is finding you up there in Boston and that you'll feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete