Friday, December 9, 2011

Why can't shoes feel nice and be sexy?

I find it hard to believe that it is impossible to build a shoe that is comfortable, affordable and not hideous. If they exist, I haven't found them and I've been searching for years. Wearing heels on daily basis just isn't an option for someone like me, with a messed up body. Ballet flats, as cute as they can be, don't really work either. I am lucky enough to live in New England, where clogs are socially acceptable, but I still cringe a little each time I finish off my outfit with a pair of gray corduroy clogs from DSW. And, even the clogs hurt my knees when I wear them too much.

It's become such an issue, at this point, I really can't move. At least, not to anywhere cooler than Boston. To live in New York, I would have to change professions, to a postal worker, personal trainer, or maybe a zookeeper. I also wouldn't be able to go out, ever.

Is there hope for girls like me who want to walk but also don't want to look hideous or like they're in their 80s? I'm about ready to throw in the towel and buy some orthopedic Easy Spirits.
Blue suede Easy Spirits, so hot right now!

I can't imagine I'm alone here. First, there must be other closet cripples like me out there, and even if I'm the only one, every woman's closet is home to at least one pair of shoes she doesn't wear because they cannot be walked in. I imagine that women, as a large consumer block, would take to the idea of comfy and elegant shoes. Sure, some women don't believe in comfortable shoes and eschew the word "comfy" they way others do "moist," but I think the everyday American lady making $31,000 a year, who feels forced to dress up for work, would really love such an invention.

Attention investors: I have ideas. If you know anyone in shoe design, please let me know.

Of course, there is always the possibility that everyone else loves the cheap shoes that I find hideous and I'm just a poor but stuck up snot face.

If I was a rich stuck up snot face, or at least rich like Daphne Guinness, I would design my own dashing custom shoes for every occasion.

Daphne Guinness in Alexander McQueen heels with Marc Jacobs in 2009.

Guinness in Paris in custom shoes.

Another custom pair made for Guinness.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's because of my equestrian past, but I am always more comfortable in a pair of boots (maybe because there's more material to hold the shoe on the foot?), and there seem to be a lot of cute boots lately. B and I just got back from London for our first trip sans kids in 18 months, and I wore a hot pair of gentle souls boots the entire time. They aren't cheap but I got them discounted online-- maybe boots would work for you, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see what you find! I'm in such a shoe rut as well. I find most of my shoes on Etsy (search in the "vintage" category), because I find that older shoes are WAY better made and don't fall apart as easily. But it takes work to find ones that are vintage in a cute not weird way, and you have to make sure the seller allows returns, and then when I get them I often have to buy insoles for arch support, and those pads for your heels, and those things for the ball of your foot, and bla bla bla...but I have to do that with every pair of shoes I buy anyway, new or old. It's funny that I can't seem to find shoes that I like and that also fulfill THE FREAKING ROLE AND PURPOSE OF A SHOE without me having to amend them somehow...and those comfort doodads are waaaay expensive!

    ReplyDelete