Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pokey!

Pokey La Farge is the man! His band, the South City Three, are pretty swell themselves. I thoroughly enjoyed their folksy Americana set at Club Passim last night. They are true performers, choosing not simply to play music but to put on a proper show. And they were super accessible. I asked them what, out of the old Americana cannons, I should listen to. Pokey and one of his band mates happily offered several recommendations: early Cab Calloway, Milton Brown, and Ma Rainey. I learned from Wikipedia that Rainey and her husband dubbed their duet Rainey and Rainey, Assassinators of the Blues. A-mazing.

You can buy the new Pokey La Farge and South City Three album Middle of Everywhere (2011 Free Dirt Records) on cd or vinyl here.

This song was particularly awesome. All my whiskey drinkin' pals will 'preciate it.

(This isn't from the show I saw but the feeling is similar)

No comments:

Post a Comment