Thursday, September 15, 2011

Jeff Mangum in Boston and Cambridge + Aloe Blacc

"...the most arresting lyricist of his generation" - Carly Carioli, The Phoenix, 9/11/2011



After years and years underground, Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel went on tour this summer and fall, and graced the Greater Boston area with two shows on September 9 and 10.The video above is from the show I saw with K-Moms at Sanders Theatre at Harvard on the 9th. This Phoenix review is from the next night. At both shows he opened with "Oh Comely," led the crowd in several sing-a-longs, and was coaxed into a second encore. Good stuff Jeff. Thank you. If you want to make more music now, that's fine with me.


I also saw Aloe Blacc at Brighton Music Hall last week and would definitely put that show in my top 10 best ever. Someone in the crowd got it right when they said, "That motherfucker is gonna be filling coliseums someday." Blacc did some of his hip hop and a whole lotta soul. He's a great dancer, political, and relentlessly positive. I got to give him a hug after the show. I'm never washing the sweater I wore that night. My show-going partner was distracted by the super polished nature of his backing band, presumably a group of studio musicians Blacc plucked for his album and then took on the road. I felt like that was to be expected for a Los Angeles band and it didn't bother me. If anyone out there has thoughts on the matter, let a girl know in the comments section.


See what I mean with the dancing?

He also performed this and it was hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment