Thursday, July 14, 2011

Headaches and Ideas

The poopiest thing about having fibromyalgia, at least in my case, is that there's always something hurting. As soon as one ailment disappears, I start bracing myself for the next surprise mystery pain. For three months now I've been struggling with an intense headache above my right eyeball. It's not a migraine, thank you Jesus, but it isn't all puppies and rainbows either. In fact, it makes me want to take a shotgun to the space between my eye and eyebrow and just get 'er done. The saddest thing about it is that when in pain, I act like an idiot. I can't form sentences or remember what I'm doing. Between this headache, and the fibro-fog*, it's amazing I get anything done. After watching me wander around CVS last week, struggling to remember what I was there for, my sweet roommate Molly suggested I consider getting a personal assistant. Maybe just someone to lead me around by the arm and whisper names in my ear when I forget them? I could be okay with that.

In my rare moments of clarity, I've spent some time considering what I ought to do with my life in a year, when my contract at work expires. Working on the election, training to be a yoga teacher, and traveling all immediately come to mind. But, what if instead of doing something normal, I try to do something crazy? Like invent something? My question is, once you have a good idea, how do you find the people you need to get started, like product engineers? Perhaps my personal assistant could help with that...

There is also a school of thought that says if you identify a person you admire you should do your best to work for that person and glean everything you can from them. My silly personal dream - as opposed to my serious grownup dreams of working in the White House or something - is to be big time in the music industry. Therefore, I think my new goal should be to intern with Jay-Z. That guy is doing something right and, I figure, once you know Jay-Z, you can pretty much meet anybody you want, from Snoop Dogg to Michele Obama. So, readers, can you help me fulfill this dream? Do you know someone, who knows someone, who might, four degrees of separation later, know Jay-Z? Or Beyonce? If so, please don't be shy and let a girl know.

Happy Thursday!

*Fibro-fog: "Fibrofog is a term given to the variety of cognitive problems that many fibromyalgia sufferers face during their illness. Fibrofog encompasses memory loss, difficulties using language, and difficulties with learning. These symptoms tend to descend in a haze or "fog," around the sufferer. Fibrofogs can occur at any time and can vary in intensity when they do occur. Fibrofogs tend to be at their most severe during flare ups in pain."

No comments:

Post a Comment