Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How Do You Spell the Name of Libya's Leader?

I've been asking myself this question a lot since the start of recent risings in Libya. I've grown up thinking the crazyman's name was "Muammar Qaddafi" and got confused when I first saw "Gaddafi." Had I been wrong this whole time?

According to the Washington Post, I'm not the only one who was confused. ABC News put together a list of the 112 different spellings of the leader's name. Arabic transliteration is a difficult thing but I would think journalists would choose one source, say the AP or CIA World Factbook, and just go with it. Not so easy. According to the ABC piece, "the Library of Congress lists 72 alternate spellings, and the New York Times, Associated Press and Xinhua news sources used 40 additional spellings between 1998 and 2008."

This is worse than the crisis over how to pronounce "Ahmadinejad."

I've also noticed that this guy rivals Michael Jackson in the number of unfortunate portraits that exist of him on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment