Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cold frame building canning machine

Today I made pickled green tomatoes with some little guys who didn't look like they were going to turn red anytime soon.


Those are huge cloves of garlic at the bottom.

Here is my super jerry rigged cold frame, a.k.a. a poor man's greenhouse.


I made the walls of the existing cinder block raised bed taller by adding a second row of blocks. Then I painted the blocks black to attract heat and covered the whole thing with plastic sheeting. I used old sunflower stalks as tent poles. It's super ugly but it was cheap. I hope the neighbors don't mind too much. We'll see if anything grows. I just planted fennel and carrot seeds and there are already cabbages, swiss chard and collards growing. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment