Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Potato Fried Chicken and Nana's Pickled Eggs

After a short hiatus, I'm back to flexing my culinary muscle. For the last game of the World Cup, Wyatt and I made potato fried chicken and beet and goat cheese salad. Imagine chicken breasts tucked inside potato pancakes. It was awesome.

First Wyatt seasoned the chicken:


Then I beat eggs, garlic scapes, fresh onions and S and P in the food processor and mixed that with flour and shredded potatoes. Then we floured and coated each breast and deep fried it.








And Victory was ours (and Spain's).

Last week I made my grandmother's pickled eggs. They were way better than I expected them to be, having only ever seen eggs pickled in beet juice at crusty old dive bars.






Ingredients:
2 t mild mustard
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 t salt
1 t celery seed
1 t mustard seed
6 whole cloves
2 med onions sliced
12 hard boiled eggs

In a sauce pan blend mustard with a little vinegar, water and next 5 ingredients over medium heat. Then bring to boil and simmer 10 mins. Let cool then pour over onions and eggs. Cover, refrigerate overnight and serve.

And, speaking of poultry, the Allandale farm chicks are getting big.


No comments:

Post a Comment