Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rock!


My musical pick of the week is Atlas Sound. It is dreamy, electronic and wonderful. I can't stop listening to it, especially while I run, of all things. If you can find the track "Airdales," start there. Atlas Sound is a solo project of Bradford James Cox, lead singer of the Atlanta-based five piece Deerhunter. The band sound is similarly good, though less electronic and more about straight guitar rocking. I would argue that Deerhunter is better than Deer Tick, and much better than Deerhoof. At some point, I am going to investigate the origin of all these deer-themed band names. There are a plethora of bands with names about wolves, deer and bears. What's next? I'm rooting for meerkats.

Atlas Sound plays the Paradise here in Boston, with Broadcast and the Selmaniares on October 22.

While I'm writing about music, I want to give a shout out to the Improper Bostonian for its current music issue. They did a nice piece on Boston-based breakout bands and an interview with Passion Pit front man Michael Angelakos. Check it out.

And if you haven't heard the Run Toto Run cover of "Sleepyhead," please watch the video now. It might be better than the original. Might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment